How Essential oils can ease your anxiety
Anxiety can be extremely difficult to deal with. Not only can it impair you from doing certain tasks, but it can also come at very inconvenient times. Using essential oils to ease your anxiety may sound to good to be true, but these essentials oils are proven to help ease your anxiety.
How can essential oils help with your anxiety?
Essential oils can ease your anxiety because by inhaling certain aromas they can stimulate certain areas of the limbic system. The limbic system is part of your brain that is involved with mood, emotions, behaviors, long-term memory, and your sense of smell. This is why certain essential oils can ease your anxiety, while others can be used to give you more energy.
Essentials oils that ease your anxiety.
- Bergamot Orange: There was a study done in 2013 that showed participants that inhaled water vapor vs. participants that used Bergamot Orange as aromatherapy the Bergamot Orange participants felt less anxiety and stress. The best way to reap the benefits of this wonderful essential oil is by diffusing it in a room, and using it as aromatherapy. You could also put a few drops behind your ears or on your neck.
- Chamomile: This is a fruity sweet-smelling essential oil extracted from flowers. It is extremely efficient, and smells great. A study was done on cancer patients to test out this essential oil. Group A had normal massages and group B had massages with chamomile oil. Group B reported having much less anxiety and stress about their situation, and were able to relax more throughout the day. Make sure you dilute the Chamomile oil with either coconut oil, avocado oil, etc. before you massage it onto your body. This is a great technique you can mix into your daily evening/morning routines.
- Clary Sage: This is an essential oil formed from an herb that is said to have anxiety-relieving properties. A small study was done comparing women smelling, lavender, almond oil, and clary sage before a nerve-racking doctors appointment. The ladies that smelt clary sage felt much more relaxed before and during their procedures. This essential oil would be best used directly before an activity that causes you anxiety arises. Example: speech, social event, appointment. Clary sage will reduce your anxiety and give you relief.
- Jasmine: Jasmine essential oil has a wonderful scent and is even used in some perfumes. Jasmine essential oil is slightly different than most anxiety-related essential oils because it does calm down your nervous system, but in return it does not make you sleepy. Unlike lavender for example which can calm you down and make you drowsy. Studies show that using Jasmine essential oil with calm your anxiety and could also give you an added boost of energy. The best way to use Jasmine oil is by smelling it directly from the bottle by putting a few drops onto a tissue. You may also put that tissue on your pillow and sleep with it.
- Yuzu: Yuzu essential oil is a Japanese essential oil that has been used for a very long time. Studies show that aromatherapy with Yuzu essential oil decreases stress levels as well as anxiety. Ten minutes of aromatherapy was said to reduce symptoms of stress in the body and promote relaxation. Yuzu would be best used in a diffuser and for at least ten minutes for full benefits.
Other ways essentials oils can help your anxiety.
Bathing is another proven way to reduce stress and calm anxiety. By simply adding a few drops of a diluted essential oil (one from the list above) you will not only be relaxing physically but mentally as well. You can also dilute any essential oil and use them in massages or as rubs throughout your day if you are planning a lot of activities you are worried about.