7 essential oils to reduce your headaches
Why you should use essential oils for headaches.
Headaches are awful and can make very simple tasks difficult. Using essential oils to help reduce headaches is very simple and effective. By using certain essentials oils to reduce and relieve your headaches you not only be more comfortable but you will also be more productive throughout the day. Nobody likes headaches, and using essential oils is a healthy natural way to fight them off.
7 essential oils to use to reduce your headaches.
- Peppermint oil. Peppermint oil may be the most common essential oil used to fight headaches and migraines. Peppermint oil contains menthol which can relax muscles and reduce pain. Peppermint oil has a very distinct smell and a little goes a long way. By diluting peppermint oil and rubbing it directly onto your wrists, behind ears, and on your temples you will feel more energized and have fewer to no headaches throughout the day. Dilute peppermint oil by adding 10-15 drops to coconut oil.
- Rosemary: Rosemary oil has been used for hundreds of years because of its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. Rosemary oil reduces stress, improves circulation, and relieves pain. All of these things will either reduce your headache pain or fight headaches before they even arise. By using Rosemary as aromatherapy you can feel the benefits quickly. If you are suffering from a migraine by diffusing Rosemary oil you can feel the pain relief within minutes. Another way to use Rosemary oil is by diluting and putting a few drops into a bath.
- Chamomile: Chamomile relaxes the body and soothes muscles which can help relieve tension headaches. Chamomile also helps you sleep better which can results in fewer headaches throughout the day. Chamomile can also help reduce anxiety which can also result in fewer headaches. Breathing in Chamomile oil through a diffuser or through steam are both effective ways to sue Chamomile.
- Ginger: Ginger essential oils are common to help ease nausea and vomiting, but Ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties which can help ease headaches. Ginger has been proven to help ease migraine pain, help the heart pump blood, and protect against bad cholesterol. Not only will Ginger relieve your headache pains, but can also help your body function better. You can apply diluted Ginger oil directly to your body, or diffuse it into a room you will be in for a while.
- Lavender: Lavender oil induces a sense of relaxation and reduces stress which can help relieve headache pain. There have been studies proving people who inhale lavender for fifteen minutes feel less headache pain than people who go without. Lavender oil is best diffused into a room and inhaled for at least fifteen minutes or inhaled through steam. You could add lavender oil to hot steaming water and it will help clear your lungs and add relaxation.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus clears the sinus and unclogs the airways. This oil will be extremely beneficial during headaches where you feel clogged up. You could even mix peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil for muscle relaxation, headache relief, and clear sinuses. The best way to use Eucalyptus is by diluting with a carrier oil like coconut oil and rubbing it onto the chest area. You could also diffuse Eucalyptus or the eucalyptus peppermint mixture.
- Frankincense: Frankincense oil has been seen to help reduce pain in cluster headaches and migraines. Frankincense has also been seen to have antioxidant properties and reducing the damage of stress on cells. It will also calm and soothe you which can help prevent headaches from even forming. You can diffuse Frankincense oil, or dilute it and use it as a rub when you feel a headache coming on.
Remember when suffering from headaches or migraines intense smells can increase the pain. So when using essential oils to relieve your headaches starting small and building up is a good way to go. Start with a few drops of essential oil to avoid a very intense scent, and then slowly build up. With essential oils, a little goes a long way. Three drops of your preferred oil is a good number to shoot for.
Also, a great way to apply any essential oil is to your temple when you are suffering from a headache or migraine.