6 essentials oils for a better nights sleep
Why should you use essential oils to aid your sleep?
Sleep is an extremely vital part of your health. Positive sleep habits can give you more energy, more motivation, less stress, reduced anxiety, etc. Using essential oils to help you sleep is only promoting healthier habits. Essential oils will create more relaxation resulting in quicker sleep which means less tossing and turning. Using essential oils for sleep will also help you create a healthy sleep schedule for yourself. Once you find the oil you like the most those sleepy afternoons will be a thing of the past.
Use these essentials oils for better sleep.
- Lavender: Lavender oil is produced from a purple flower, and is the essential oil most studied by scientists. Lavender oil helps you sleep better and prompts relaxation by using its chemical compounds linalool and linalyl. Lavender has been seen helping people with insomnia, people who have high-stress levels, as well as hospital patients. Lavender can be put directly onto your pillow at night, or can be used in a diffuser and diffused at night for a better night’s sleep.
- Cedarwood: Cedarwood is a woodsy smell that has almost a sedative effect on people. This is due to a chemical compound called cedrol found in Cedarwood essential oils. Cedarwood oil can help you have a better night’s sleep, and can also reduce unwanted early morning rises. Cedarwood is said to be used twenty nights in a row to see the full benefits including more sound sleep, less sporadic awakenings, and an increase of total sleep time. Cedarwood can be diffused into a bedroom, or diluted by mixing with natural oils such as coconut oil and massaged onto your skin before bedtime.
- Marjoram: Marjoram is an herb that has a spicy scent. Marjoram is very popular when trying to help children have a restful nap time. Marjoram originates from the Mediterranean and North Africa and has been used for relaxation and stress relief for a long time. When being used two good techniques are rubbing a diluted Marjoram oil onto the bottoms of your feet before bed, or diffusing ten to twenty minutes before you plan on falling asleep.
- Frankincense: Frankincense is created from trees, and has a sweet woody smell. Frankincense was thought to be the most valuable oil in Egypt and was used as incense. Frankincense prompts relaxation and reduces stress levels resulting in better sleep. A great way to use Frankincense regularly is by adding a few drops of the oil to steaming water and having a mini facial twice a week before bedtime. Another easy technique is simply rubbing a few drops of Frankincense onto your hands and smelling before bedtime.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus oil originated from Australia and has a woody citrusy smell and is commonly used in cold remedies. Eucapltyise oil can help you sleep better because it will clear your airways and sinuses which will help you breathe better as you fall asleep and during your sleep. Sometimes our sleep issues are a result of clogged airways which can go untreated for a very long time because they can be hard to diagnose. The best way to apply eucalyptus is directly onto your skin by diluting the oil with coconut or avocado oil and rubbing it onto your feet and wrists before bed.
- Ylang Ylang: Ylang Ylang oil originates from trees in Asia, and has a fruity scent. Ylang Ylang helps you sleep better by lowering blood pressure, and heart rate. This sets your body up for a good restful night’s sleep. The scent is said to also have a relaxing agent which will help your body unwind. The best way to use Ylang Ylang is by diffusing it into your bedroom, or by diluting it and soaking in it before you go to bed.
Using these oils for a long amount of time will give you the best results. A healthy sleep schedule takes time to build, and the benefits of healthy sleep may take a while to see. Trust the process, and trust me you will feel so much better once you have a sleep routine.